With the nation under complete lockdown till April 15th, it seems like the entire ecosystem has come to a grinding halt. Transport services have been shut, office closed, educational institutions suspended till further notice.
Only establishments classified as essential services such as banks, grocery stores, pharmacies etc. are allowed to function. With alcohol shops not coming under that gambit, they’ve been asked to shut up shop during the lockdown period.
That wasn’t the case initially though. In states like Kerala and Haryana, alcohol shops were open even after the lockdown was announced. The Kerala state government refused to shut liquor shops, maintaining that the decision would lead to illicit trading of the liquor in the State and have “social repercussions”.
But as expected, black marketing of alcohol is still rampant. You may have to work a bit harder to get the booze but try hard enough and you can still find it.
So that’s what we did, we made a few calls to see if we could source alcohol during the lockdown and sure enough, we found a guy!
We had to call a number and he didn’t agree at the first go. He cut the call saying that this is a wrong number. However a couple of calls and hopeful pleads later, he decided to share the price of some of the stock of alcohol he had.
Due to the lockdown, the first thing he told us was that there was limited stock and variety. Also in some cases, he wasn’t ready to sell unless we agreed to buy a specific quantity. So here’s how much alcohol costs you right now during the lockdown:-
- If you’re looking to buy beer, you’ll have to make do with Kingfisher Premium or Budweiser. The Kingfisher bottle was priced at 400 while the Budweiser was available at 460. You also had to buy a crate i.e 24 bottles at the bare minimum.
- A quarter of the iconic old monk will cost you 450. The same was the price for a royal challenge quarter as well.
- A bottle of royal stag was being sold for 1500, while a blender’s pride bottle costs 2500.
It was also interesting to see that the higher end alcohol didn’t have much variety of stock. Or maybe the vendor refused to divulge the details. This may be because people consuming those may already have it in stock, and they aren’t dependent on these alcohol shops for their daily needs.
- A 750 ml bottle of Absolut vodka was priced at 4500.
- If you’re looking to buy a bottle of black label, you’ll have to shell out 6200. You could also buy a cheaper Ballantine at 3500
If you’re aware of the usual alcohol prices, you’ll think that these are awfully high than the normal ones. Well, that’s right, because alcohol in the black market is being sold anywhere from 100%-400% more than its original price. So if you’re looking to buy alcohol right now, that’s the price you’ll have to pay!
*The purpose of the article is to inform the prevailing prices of alcohol in the black market during the lockdown. In no way does BingeDaily endorse or promote the consumption of alcohol or its purchase via the black market. Keep in mind that it is advised to refrain from consuming alcohol to keep your immunity intact during the outbreak