Black water is increasingly gaining popularity among fitness enthusiasts and has now become a health trend. In India, popular celebrities like Malaika Arora, Urvashi Rautela, and Shruti Haasan have been spotted either trying or carrying bottles of black water on several occasions. Some claim that Indian cricket team captain Virat Kohli who is well-known for his fitness & strict diet is too siping on black water to reap its amazing health benefits.
Therefore, many people are curious to know what this drink is made of and how does it benefit our health. Let's find out what exactly this black water or what they refer to as ‘energy drink’ is and why stars are going gaga over it.
What is Black water?
Black water is natural-black alkaline water. It is enriched with 70+ minerals and has a high alkaline pH of 8+, yielding multiple health benefits. Normal mineral water has a pH between 6 to 7, which is considered neutral, but in comparison, an alkaline drink is basic in nature.
Coming to why the color of the drink is black, is that the minerals added to enrich the water are naturally black in color, giving it the charcoal hue. However, before trying this drink or adding it to your diet, you must get a consultation that will help you understand the effects of this alkaline water in a better way.
Health benefits of black alkaline water
Switching to black water is said to have several health benefits. The brand Evocus H2O, the only seller of black alkaline water in India, claims that plain water lacks several essential minerals, which are crucial for the body. Plain RO water has a low pH value, is corrosive, and tastes bitter. The water is hard for the body to absorb. Alkaline water is nothing like plain water. It is packed with nutrients and other vital minerals beneficial especially for people suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol. The health benefits of alkaline water include:
1. Hydration: As the water molecules in the alkaline drink are smaller, they are more readily absorbed by our cells and are extra hydrating than plain water. It helps contract the muscles in a better way, keeps the joints lubricated, and improves the functioning of the kidneys.
2. Reduce acidity: Taking alkaline water also helps to reduce the acidity and balance the pH level of the body. It helps to neutralize the excess acid produced in the body.
3. Boosts immunity: Alkaline water works wonders for our digestive health and helps absorb the nutrients from the food we eat. This uplifts our immune system and overall health.
4. Boosts metabolism: When our digestive system is detoxed and works fine, our metabolism improves too. Adding this drink to your diet will help you burn more calories and keeps you active throughout the day.
5. Anti-aging properties: Rich in antioxidants and minerals, the alkaline drink is believed to reduce the free radicals in your body. This eventually can slow down the aging process, boost up the production of collagen in the body that improves the quality of your skin and hair.
While everything sounds appealing, does it really work?
Sipping on black alkaline water is the latest trend among fitness enthusiasts. However, experts are still unsure about its health benefits and long-term usage. As per many researchers, there isn't enough research carried out on it to support the many health claims made by sellers. Only a few studies suggest alkaline water might be helpful for certain conditions. The opinion of the experts on the benefits of black water still relies on the consumption of this kind of water.
Possible side-effects of drinking alkaline water
Due to the lack of many pieces of evidence, it is hard to state if alkaline water is safe to consume or not considering its long-term usage. Some people may experience negative side effects after consuming it, experts say. Drinking too much of it can cause excess alkalinity in the body which may lead to the following health issues:
- Gastrointestinal problem
- Skin irritations
- Muscle twitching
- Tingling sensations in the body
Should you consider adding black water to your diet?
While it is believed that alkaline water cannot pose serious harm to you in any way, drinking it every day for a long time is still questionable. Also, is it really better than plain filtered water? You should consult a dietician before trying it for yourself. We all know that nothing can replace a well-balanced diet rich in a range of nutrients. Again, no scientific study has as yet authenticated the claims made by alkaline water companies. So keep that in mind before falling for the hype.
Is it Affordable?
Black Alkaline water is readily available online in India, and Evocus H2O is an Indian brand that manufactures it as well. Now, if you wish to add black water to your diet, then we must tell you that it can burn a hole in your pocket. A pack of six 500 ml bottles costs nearly Rs. 500 to 600. A 1-liter pack of normal mineral water in India costs nearly Rs. 20 to 30, so yes black water is a bit more on the costlier side. Needless to say, that the price can be rather steep for many Indians.
You can still check out the product on Amazon by clicking here:
Evocus H2O Alkaline Water (500 ml) Pack Of 6