The Prime Minister in his recent address to the nation asked people to stay off the roads and public places during the Janta Curfew, which will be in place for 14 hours from 7 am to 9 pm on Sunday. “Today, I am seeking one more support from every citizen. It is Janta Curfew - a curfew for the people and imposed by people themselves,” PM Modi had said.
Essential services like police, media, medical services etc will not come under this curfew. India has ever since, been preparing for a lockdown situation on Sunday - stocking, closing and planning. Here is how India is preparing for the Janta curfew:
1. The Indian Railways has announced that it will not operate any passenger train from any railway station in the country from midnight on Saturday to 10 pm on Sunday.
2. Mail and express trains will also stop services from 4 am on Sunday, the transporter has said. All intercity trains will also remain cancelled till 10 pm on Sunday.
3. All suburban train services in Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai and Secunderabad will be reduced as well.
4. GoAir has announced to voluntarily suspend all flights on Sunday when Janta curfew will be in force.
5. Indigo, India’s largest flight carrier, has said it will operate only 60% of its domestic flights on Sunday.
6. Air Vistara also announced it will be reducing its domestic operations on Sunday when Janta Curfew would be in force. “Vistara will operate on a reduced network on Sunday, 22 March on account of Janta curfew. Passengers who have been affected by cancellations will be contacted soon,” the airline’s spokesperson said.
8. Delhi’s transport minister Kailash Gahlot said there are no plans to shut down public bus services yet.
9. Mobile app cab services such as Uber and Ola are encouraging drivers to stay off-road on Sunday. The app services will, however, be functional for anyone who needs to avail of cabs in an emergency situation.
10. More than 95,000 auto-rickshaw drivers have also extended their support to the PM’s call. Rajendra Soni, general secretary of Delhi Autorickshaw Sangh, said all drivers, irrespective of political affiliation, have decided to cooperate with the government.
11. Nearly 15 lakh traders in Delhi will be closing shutters on Sunday.
12. The Noida Metro Rail Corporation (NMRC) will suspend Aqua-Line services and the city bus service on Sunday.
13. Gujarat chief minister Vijay Rupani has said no government buses will run on Sunday during the Janta Curfew. State transport buses, as well as city buses, will be off the roads in the state on Sunday.
14. The Tamil Nadu government has also said government bus and Metro rail services in the state will be suspended on Sunday. Private transport operators and owners of mini-buses have also been asked not to operate their vehicles on that day.
15. Lucknow Metro will also stay shut on Sunday.
16. Most private establishments and some public services will be shut across Bengaluru and the rest of Karnataka on Sunday. The Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC), that provides inner-city services, said they would operate with limited capacity and based on demand.
17. All pubs, bars, malls and theatres, among other places, will remain closed.
Like the rest of the country, we hope you follow the curfew timings and stay indoors to reduce the chances of the spreading, or contracting virus. Hopefully, this curfew changes the rate at which transmission has been taking place.