Article headline
Culture

The Rise Of Ethical Fashion | Influencers On What They Look Forward To

Fashion influencers are a huge part of the industry. What better than to have them share what they look forward to in terms of ethical fashion.

Wardrobes the size of mini homes and expanding closets that are more precious than dear life - the fashion industry has seen a boom with people looking for fashion inspo and wanting to be the talk of the town. But with pieces being churned out by the second, what is the potential future crisis that is in the works? Fast fashion is no antidote to a planet reeling under climate change. What can be done and where should discussion be heading? Fashion influencers are a huge part of an industry that changes trends as we speak. We thought what better than to have them share what they look forward to in terms of ethical fashion, its quality and the future.

What is considered ethical fashion?

The buzzwords surrounding ethical fashion are many and it can get confusing deciphering what exactly is the determinant of ethics. Up until recently, the term ethical fashion denoted the industry's practices and businesses that provided satisfying responses to ‘Are employees being paid fair wages?’ or ‘How are the working conditions in factories?’ and such. But with the Earth making us sit up and take notice of its deteriorating condition, ethical fashion has also come to be a number of other things.

Fashion that is aimed at reducing the impact on the planet, people and animals. Ethical fashion is said to be that which is kind to the planet right from seed to garment, at every step of the process. Conscious fashion has been on the rise, wherein upcycled, thrift stores and material sourced ethically and in one with Nature is used for production.

Why is ethical fashion important?

Climate change is real and its effects are profound and have an immense impact on us and our future generations to come, says Shivani Raina - a fashion blogger. “I am a firm believer in keeping our environment healthier, greener and sustainable.  The fashion industry is just one of the many industries that can play an integral part in a healthier climate.”

Fashion should keep its glamour yet find a way to be less detrimental to our environment which indirectly and directly affects climate change - Shivani Raina

Speaking of the future she hopes to see in the fashion world, she says:

• The material used in the industry should be more sustainable yet more recyclable thereby minimizing the risk to the environment
  • Good ethical practices should also be implemented whereby workers are well compensated and truly taken care of even if that means less of a profit margin for the owner
  • Striving to care for the people around you and your environment goes a long way in establishing loyal clients who truly appreciate your authenticity and eco-friendly principles
Shivani Raina | The Rise Of Ethical Fashion | Influencers On What They Look Forward To

Shivani having a list of clientele that she has dealt with in the past and continues to doing so emphasises that when she ties up with a fashion brand, the first thing she does to ensure she is being a part of ethical fashion is to evaluate their authenticity, ethical practices and background. “I especially like working with and representing homegrown Indian brands and giving them a global platform to showcase their talent and fashion appeal. I usually communicate with the brand lead to get a sense of their core values and ethics to see if they align with my principles. Being modern, contemporary, chic yet sustainable, eco-friendly and budget-friendly are qualities that are top of my prerequisites.”

The mantra she believes in is repeating and reusing clothes.

Why is fast fashion an ethical issue?

Mariette Valsan, a model and actor says changing one’s lifestyle is the need of the hour especially with regards to fashion. “In a world that is increasingly functional on the "image" of a person or brand - the need to be seen in new clothes and different clothes has drastically risen - especially with the rise in power of social media. This has accelerated the use of fast fashion  the world over.”

While speaking of the need for a change in culture, the reason fast fashion is an ethical issue is due to the sheer magnitude of consumerism that it contributes which in turn burdens resources.

Mariette Valsan | The Rise Of Ethical Fashion | Influencers On What They Look Forward To

Speaking of the future she hopes to see in the fashion world, she says:

• The brands that I personally promote need to resonate with my personal values. For example,  I actively campaign against colourism in the industry  - both film and fashion  - and therefore have rejected offers to endorse fairness or bleaching products
  • I also enjoy working with brands that have sustainable practices as well as use their voices to empower those working with them, or working around them!

One of the fashion choices that Mariette has made in the last two years was to start wearing more saris. “I have grown up with my mother and grandmother wearing saris all their lives - and so I started the movement  #MariTheSari  - to not just explore my newfound relationship with the sari but also talk to individuals who champion this six yards garment!”

The aim she says is to have our generation view the sari beyond its traditional confines.

What is a capsule closet?

The maximum number of carbon footprints and emissions is the impact of the fashion industry, says Muskan Rawat - a fashion blogger. “I check out the brand aesthetic first,” she says when asked about what she personally does to ensure she is being a part of ethical fashion. “I’m someone who doesn’t stick to any particular aesthetic so if I feel like a brand’s identity is new and if it vibes with me, I go for it.”

Muskan Rawat | The Rise Of Ethical Fashion | Influencers On What They Look Forward To

“I have tried to minimise my purchases and I do alot of styling videos purely because it’s a way of re-using and re-wearing what’s just sitting in your wardrobe. I guess I was never someone who shopped mindlessly but I’m still trying to slowly move towards having a capsule closet.” A small collection of outfits that are up to your taste and that you alternate between during the season, this trend is starting to be popular.

Tell us what you do to stay trendy yet stay ethical!

Culture

The Rise Of Ethical Fashion | Influencers On What They Look Forward To

What is considered ethical fashion?

Why is ethical fashion important?

Speaking of the future she hopes to see in the fashion world, she says:

The mantra she believes in is repeating and reusing clothes.

Why is fast fashion an ethical issue?

Speaking of the future she hopes to see in the fashion world, she says:

What is a capsule closet?

Tell us what you do to stay trendy yet stay ethical!

Culture

The Rise Of Ethical Fashion | Influencers On What They Look Forward To

What is considered ethical fashion?

Why is ethical fashion important?

Speaking of the future she hopes to see in the fashion world, she says:

The mantra she believes in is repeating and reusing clothes.

Why is fast fashion an ethical issue?

Speaking of the future she hopes to see in the fashion world, she says:

What is a capsule closet?

Tell us what you do to stay trendy yet stay ethical!